Long title, right? But I don’t care. EarthBound is FINALLY coming to the Wii U Virtual Console this year! I’ve been waiting years for this news and I will shout it to the heavens because it’s really happening!
No rumor, no speculation, it was announced officially during this morning’s Nintendo Direct press event that it is fact and it is happening later this year. Sadly, no confirmed date yet aside from this year, but it’s finally happening!
Oh yeah, there was a whole ton of other Nintendo news today too including info on Bravely Default, Pikmin 3, Prefessor Layton, and a new Link to the Past game?? Grab a snack and hit the jump for ALL the details.
There is a whole lot of info, so let’s do this:
NINTENDO 3DS NEWS
- -People have been clamoring for news on a Bravely Default US release for quite some time and it’s finally happening…next year. Nintendo is teaming with Square Enix to publish the title in 2014
- -Nintendo is working on a new Legend of Zelda game set in the A Link to the Past universe set for release this holiday season. Also, Link can become a drawing and move along walls… What?
- -Yoshi’s Island is also getting a sequel that welcomes back Baby Mario. Hopefully he’s learned how to shut the f–k up in this game. No launch date yet.
- -August 11th is the official release date for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, the new entry in the RPG series that takes place in Luigi’s dreams.
- -Shin Megami Tensei IV is releasing with a badass Limited Edition Box Set for every copy in the initial shipment when it releases on July 16th. It includes a 176 page Strategy & Design Book, a music collection CD, and a deluxe slipcase.
- -Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D hits stores and the eShop on May 24th and features eight new stages for play after the game is completed as well as a “New Mode optimized for hand-held play with new items and mechanics.”
- -Real time golf come to Mario Golf: World Tour with worldwide online matches when it releases later this summer.
- -Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy releases in 2014 with over 500 new puzzles.
- -A new 3DS XL system is on the way with Animal Crossing: New Leaf pre-installed. It will be available on June 9th for $219.99. Figures. I just bought the damn Pikachu system…
- -A new Mario Party game arrives for the 3DS with 81 new games set to launch this winter. The game features AR Card games and StreetPass matches in addition to the usual board game elements.
- -More Zelda classics will hit the Nintendo 3DS eShop on May 30th with the release of The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. And yes, they can still be connected to connect the stories.
- -Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move is an all new entry in the Mario vs. DK series launching on May 9th featuring over 180 new stages in four different modes as well as allowing players to create and share their own levels.
- -A trio of games from LEVEL-5 will be hitting the 3DS eShop this year. Nintendo says: “THE STARSHIP DAMREY, from Kazuya Asano and Takemaru Abiko, puts players in a suspenseful adventure where they will have to search for any information available to discover the truth about their circumstances. In BUGS vs. TANKS! from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, players control a tiny customizable tank in battle against swarms of giant bugs. In Kaz Ayabe’s ATTACK OF THE FRIDAY MONSTERS! A TOKYO TALE, players will take the role of a young boy who lives where the giant monsters from Japan’s 1970s TV shows come to life every Friday.”
WII U NEWS
- -Once again, this shit is REAL. EarthBound is coming to the Wii U Virtual Console this year!!! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
- -Oh yeah, the actual Virtual Console service will launch “shortly after” a system update planned for next week that will “add new functions and enhance existing onces.” It also makes those system load times a lot more bearable.
- -New Super Luigi U DLC will release this summer featuring 82 updated stages all designed for some solo Luigi action.
- -Pikmin 3 is FINALLY getting released on August 4th. Launch Window my ass…
- -Game & Wario beats it to store shelves releasing on June 23rd.
That wraps up this week’s Nintendo Direct news. I would’ve loved to see a bit more Wii U news (maybe a price cut to encourage people to actually buy it?) but EARTHBOUND IS COMING!!!!
To get a sneak peak at trailers for some of the announced games, hit up the Nintendo YouTube Channel!