It’s no secret that a lot of people like Rocksmith. Our own Editor-in-Chief gave it a 10/10, so this will definitely excite the masses.

This morning, some eagle-eyed lookouts found that the first DLC for Rocksmith has been released in the Xbox Live Marketplace. How much does it rock?

Rocksmith debut DLC singles:

• Lynyrd Skynyrd – Free Bird
  • Radiohead – Bodysnatchers
  • The Black Keys – Tighten Up

These songs are available individually for 240 MSP ($3) on the XBLM, with no official word yet on if they will arrive on the PSN later today.

There is also no word yet on if Ubisoft will be trying to keep up with Rock Band‘s weekly DLC schedule, or even Guitar Hero‘s monthly DLC schedule, but you have to start somewhere.

Frankly, I find $3 for a song is way overpriced considering for the same price in Rock Band you get to play not only pro-guitar, but pro-bass, pro-keyboard, pro-drums, vocal harmonies, as well as the plastic, simplified equivalent of each instrument. If Rocksmith wants to compete in the DLC market, they will either have to lower the price, or astound with something amazing. Or they could just put in more Muse.

How do you feel about the price per song? How do you feel about the song choices? Let us know in the comments!

28 Responses so far.

1. Johnny says:

Loving rocksmith – it’s so much fun. DLC for this could be epic if implemented correctly. Musician curated mixes, full album releases, genre classics…there is so much potential if licensing can be arranged. Bit disappointing the launch of DLC is so slim & pricey.

I would say $2.00 a song is fair, say $12 – $14 for an album. One mans opinion but maybe useful. Guess we’ll see what the future holds.

scott   [ 16:58, November 3rd, 2011 ]

@Johnny,
    you are right man its fair this game is HIGH qual!

Michael   [ 01:18, November 11th, 2011 ]

I would have no problem paying like $30 an album. It would just have to be some bands I like. I can’t believe this game doesn’t have some songs from AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica, GNR, Godsmack or even some Numetal bands.

2. Klopzi says:

I’d pay $3 for a song that I really want but nothing in that list interests me. Mind you, I got Free Bird and and Bodysnatchers as a pre-order bonus. And I hate Free Bird because I was forced to qualify on that song in order to hit Rank 4 in the game.

I’m hoping for some more Soundgarden and Radiohead. I’d really like to see some Tragically Hip, Spin Doctors, and Live. Love the 90s…

3. thez0rk says:

YEah, I’m excited about this…but the price is high. They may be getting gouged by whomever hold the publishing rights.

4. Kyle Gaddo says:

I think $3 per track is rather fair, considering that it’ll actually teach you a song in full at your own pace.

Of course, DLC is all optional, so you don’t HAVE to pay $3 each song, and word has it that there will be DLC packs on the way.

Plus, c’mon, “Freebird” is 14 minutes. That’s worth at least $5.

Michael O'Connor   [ 15:16, November 1st, 2011 ]

@Kyle Gaddo, It’s also pretty much the same price as a single.

Kyle Gaddo   [ 15:42, November 1st, 2011 ]

@Michael O’Connor, And singles don’t teach you how to play them.

5. Whitney Woolard says:

I love this game and will buy the DLC just so I can get better at guitar!

6. zack says:

I feel they could go a little cheaper, but the big thing is i was wanting something thats not already on the game. theres already some music from all these artists. i also want some modern hard rock. the game sadly doesnt have a little something for everyone like the other names in this genre usually have on the game disc.

7. Rod Z says:

Way, WAY overpriced. What are they thinking, I just dished out $80 for the game, now they expect $3 per song? Very disappointing… I do not see myself downloading any new songs unless the price drops to about $1 per song.

8. Claude says:

DLC cost 4.99$ each song for PS3 users in Canada … Very disappointing
    I dont understand why the price is higher for PS3.

9. Edward Nigma says:

The price isn’t too much of a killer, especially noting that your going to learn the song on a real guitar, even though you don’t have the wide variety of colored buttons to press, you have a wide variety of technique to use. I personally would like to see more classic hair bands and such for dlc, amazingly put together clean game, guitarist for 8 years, triop thumbs up

10. Quinton says:

I have to say it is a great price because a dollar a song is what a song cost anyways. But wish there was more dlc then that because already have Free Bird and Bodysnatchers from pre-order.

Quinton   [ 04:44, November 3rd, 2011 ]

@Quinton, didn’t read right but it is high should be more a 2 dollars a song

11. Wood liketarock says:

I bought it, I like it, but I’m getting really pissed off with it!!
    If I have to play one more ” hipster” track like that Jenny o song to get to the next level, I’m going to blow my brains out!!!!
    I’m forced to play songs that I wouldn’t let play through on the radio much less learn.
    This game needs genre specific groups. I get that it just got released , but come one, your first DLC is 3 songs?
    By three bands that are already in the track list??
    And then your idea is to release 3 more crappy songs and call the 70s pack ( or some B.S like that)

Just an idea, the music biz is crap right now, they can’t make the money they used to( boo hoo, try signing some bands that are at least aware of music from more than 5 years ago…I digress)
    Remember albums?, you know collections of songs? You know, more than 3…
    Do classic albums, new albums, best of albums ,all genres, all decades.
    Or don’t….

12. Adam says:

Pretty sure that 3 dollars is just fine. Unlike Rock Band, you’re actually LEARNING how to play the song. Most tab books with ten songs cost 20 dollars and they’re not interactive at all. I think you’re spoiled by fake guitar Colin, if you think 3 dollars per song is too expensive.

13. Michael says:

If you ever wanted to play guitar but practicing is soo boring to you, then this game will blow your socks off. I hated learning new scales and chords, but just the guitarcade (sp?) and technique challenges make this game worth it to me. Not to mention it you don’t have to worry about your sound not matching the sound because the effects in this game are great. It will make you better.

14. Red says:

iTunes has already set the fair market price for music: $0.99 per song, $9.99 for an album. I know this DLC is more than “just the song” but it’s also only usable if you have the $80 game.
    They need to come out with discography DLC, focus on a single band or a genre or an era. There are so many ways to do it, let’s hope they do it right.

Kyle Gaddo   [ 20:54, November 11th, 2011 ]

@Red, Buying the song on iTunes isn’t going to teach me how to play it.

Ubisoft’s got a good plan. Promise.

15. Shreddi says:

My question is, Do I have to pay for an Xbox Live membership to download one song? I havent kept up on what xbox live costs, at one time it was 50 bucks. I hope we dont have to pay a subscription fee on top of the cost for the additional content.

Michael O'Connor   [ 17:35, November 22nd, 2011 ]

@Shreddi, You don’t need an Xbox Live Gold account to download content from the Xbox Live Marketplace. That can be done on a Silver account just fine.

16. Christian says:

See, I’ve seen the list of songs in the game, and they probably picked some of the worst songs for many bands, for example RHCP and Incubus, so I was a little disappointed, and they did the same thing with STP also, so hopefully DLC will give these great bands the spotlight they deserve in this game!

17. Derek says:

Just got this game recently. Lag is soooo bad that it ruins the game experience. I have to calibrate in my head a delay so I hit my strings a third of a second before the note needs to be heard. Very very very annoying. This game could be awesome but the lag is something they need to fix- NOW. I maxed out their lag control but no luck. I used the lag adjustment on my home receiver but there isn’t enough room. I’m using component (video) and digital optical for sound, both into my home receiver. I have a 7.1 surround system and a 9 foot projection screen which makes this game potentially epic but the lag kills the joy. Also, i can learn the songs faster and better by ear than using the game. I’ve been playing for 25 years but this game with the lag and adjustment to the display for the notes makes me feel/sound like an amateur. If I close my eyes and just play the song I get better scores than trying to follow the notes on the system. I also wish I could hear my real amp as it is much better than the simulated amps on this thing. I still like it. Just disappointed. YMMV. $3 a song is too high. I think $2 is fair. They really need some better content. DLC is a fantastic idea but overpriced and too few choices.

Kyle Gaddo   [ 22:47, November 29th, 2011 ]

@Derek, Hey, Derek! I’ve written this tutorial to perhaps help you with your lag problems.

The game has an inherent 30ms of lag due to the technology’s audial change from analog to digital frequencies, but the problem may be with your setup and how you’re using the calibration system!

If you have any more problems, shoot me an email and I’ll help you out as much as I can.

18. Matt says:

AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica, GNR, Godsmack, Megadeth, Mudvayne, Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace and many many others could be worth it if they’re bundled right. 3 bucks a song is too much, but it they would bundle some good ones say, 10 for 15 bucks or something that would be much better.

19. Phillip Barrier says:

godsmack whatever and moon and a lot of godsmack cuz its the shit and i will buy the hell out of it!!!!!!

20. Evilizac says:

Obviously some people have never purchased digital sheet music… That borders on scam sometimes…