Time for a couple of Valve news items! First up, in celebration of their 119th update of TF2, They made it a large one. Not only is there a new map (cp_freight) and a new community item (Crit-a-Cola, for the Scout), they are also giving out medals to every player, based on how long you have been playing. If you first played at launch, or within three months of it, you get the gold medal. If you played after that, but within the first year, you get silver. If you played it anytime after that, you get a bronze medal. Combine these with the growing number of hats, then we’re beginning to see a large amount of customization in-game.
Why are they celebrating the 119th update specifically? Well they were getting ready to celebrate the 100th update, but thanks to Valve Time, They released 18 more updates while preparing for it.
It’s kind of amazing how Valve has continued to pour their time and efforts into this game, which is nearing 3 years of age, and they’re still tweaking and adding things, all for free. After the jump, the full write-up of the changes, a friggin’ sweet Heavy figure, and a (hopefully) final date for Steam for Mac.
In order to celebrate the grandness of the 119th update, Valve announced that the statue company IP Factory will make a limited edition statue of the Heavy, in both RED and BLU colors. I really wish I had some excess money, because I mean, look at this thing:
You can head over to Gaming Heads to get your pre-order in for your 12-inch plastic Russian on Monday.
Valve had previously said that Steam for Mac would be available in April. In true Valve fashion, they have come out at the last possible second and said it will come out on May 12th. Hopefully they will stick to that, but I have my doubts…
Finally, here are the full TF2 patch notes. Note that the Pyro has gotten a massive revamp. They have greatly reduced the direct damage and after-burn time of the regular flamethrower, and instead lowered the cooldown and requirements for the airblast. This means that you now need to spend a lot less time running up to people and burn them into a crisp (the much discussed W+M1 tactic), and you will instead have to focus on setting people on fire, bumping them around with the airblast, and use the shotgun or axetinguisher a lot more. It’s also a lot easier to reflect projectiles now, and they now turn into mini-crits, so you should be doing that anyways. The Backburner, conversely, has gotten a damage INCREASE, making it the best weapon for flanking an enemy and burning him. So the two different Pyro’s now have VERY different roles, front-line crowd-controller, and almost spy-ish damage dealer.
The other changes are a lot more minor, but still significant. The Heavy has a wind-up speed and turn speed increase, making it slightly harder for classes to outmaneuver him. The bump from charging someone with the Charging Targe as a Demomanis way up, and it increases with every head you have collected. The Huntsman arrows of the Sniper can now be set on fire by a Pyro at any time, and they have slightly altered the way the Scout’s Bonk recharges.
Also note that the medals were rolled out, but everybody had gotten the wrong ones, so they are temporarily gone until Valve fixes them.
April 28, 2010
- Added new community map cp_freight
- Added missing physics models for several items
- Added jiggle bones to the Sam & Max items, and The Buff Banner
- Added Crit-a-Cola
- Linux optimizations.
- Fixed Linux servers not relisting correctly after a master server restart
- Fixed a case where servers could have “ghost” players consuming player slots
- Marked the “snd_show” convar as a cheat
- Pyro changes
- Flamethrower direct damage reduced 20%.
- Burn duration reduced (10 -> 6 seconds).
- Airblast re-fire delay reduced by 25%.
- Airblast ammo usage reduced by 20%.
- All reflected rockets/grenades/arrows now mini-crit.
- Airblasting enemies into environmental deaths now awards the death credit to the Pyro.
- Heavy changes
- Minigun spin-up/down time reduced by 25%
- Minigun firing movement speed increased to just under half-normal (from 80 to 110).
- Throwing a sandvich to a teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).
- Bonk! changes
- Post-use movement penalty removed.
- Now has a re-use cooldown time, like The Sandman.
- The Chargin’ Target changes
- Direct charge hit now does 50 damage + 10 per head (up to 5 heads).
- Capped the turn rate from +left and +right while charging.
- The Huntsman changes
- Removed restriction that arrows need to be aimed before they can be lit by a Pyro.
- Bow can now be lowered without losing the lit arrow.
- Changed bow so you can start charging it while you’re jumping, but you can’t fire until you’re on the ground.
- Fixed bug where flame effect would get stuck on if you change weapons with a lit arrow.
- Backpack changes
- Moved Crafting button out to the root class/backpack selection panel.
- Dragging and dropping items in your backpack now makes appropriate sounds.
- Bot changes
- Bots don’t retreat to gather health as readily if they are in combat.
- Bots no longer retreat when moving to block a point capture.
- Bots should now equip an appropriate combat weapon and fight while moving to collect health.
- Bots who are roaming the map and hunting now chase down their victims, following them around corners.
- Bots That fire projectiles (ie: rockets/grenades/etc) don’t hold down their fire button for a minimum time. This was causing Soldier bots to fire rockets into nearby walls as they strafed, killing themselves.
- Soldiers bots now switch to their shotgun after firing all four rockets when engaging an enemy.
- Added a few more bot names from community suggestions.
- Fixed a behavior loop with Engineer metal gathering.
- The Sandman change
- Added a slight speed reduction to stunned players.
- Community requests
- Added ConVars log_verbose_enable and log_verbose_interval to report player positions in the server log at regular intervals
- log_verbose_enable default: 0
- log_verbose_interval default: 3 secs
- “Last-weapon” initialization on respawn now sets itself to be the melee weapon if you donâ€™t have a selectable secondary weapon (like The Razorback).
- Fixed an case where The Gunboats didnâ€™t apply their damage reduction properly.
- The amount count in the HUD now flashes red when youâ€™re low on ammo.
- Extinguishing a burning teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).
- Fixed a permanent overheal exploit involving dispensers.
- Fixed a bug in spectator mode where the user aborted out of freezecam, setup a spec mode (like IN_EYE), and would then have the setting stomped after the freezecam timer expired.
- Fixed bug with disguised spy sometimes seeing his own name in the disguise status HUD.
- Fixed a client crash that could result from players with arrows embedded in them.
- Fixed items that can be worn by any class having the wrong model when worn by a disguised Spy.
- Added missing map prefixes to server browser game types.
- Killing yourself with your own sentry no longer increments the sentry’s kill counter.
- Fixed dropped hats sometimes having the wrong team color.
- Fixed crit-boosted players not getting critical hits if their weapon has custom no-crit behavior.
- Fixed the achievement dialog taking a long time to pop up, and completed achievements now sort to the bottom of the list.
- Fixed Spies disguised as Medics hearing the autocaller sound.
April 29, 2010
- Added new items to commemorate our 119th (or so) update.
- Fixed several issues with the Source SDK
- Scout’s “Retire the Runner” achievement updated to be
- “Kill a Scout while they are under the effect of Crit-a-Cola.”
- Added a 20% damage bonus to The Backburner
- Fixed the Flare Gun’s afterburn duration being lowered by the Flamethrower’s duration reduction
- Fixed the teleporter exit using the wrong particle effect
- Fixed HUD damage indicators not appearing
- Fixed Teleporters not reverting to level 1 when their other side is destroyed
- Fixed receiving damage not causing view-kicks on players
- Fixed Engineers & Spies being able to circumvent build restrictions
- Fixed Server Browser not saving filter settings properly
- Fixed a client crash in the targetID on clients running custom HUDs