Prepare for the Patch!

Although the Fallout 3 1.10 patch fixes a larger number of bugs and glitches, reports have been coming into us from gamers (as well as on the official forums) that this patch has also introduced some new problems, most commonly on the PS3. See below for the full details.

After applying the patch, some players’ saved games have been reported to be missing items – including but not limited to keys for important locations, on random occasions. Furthermore, some gamers have noticed that the game has an increased chance of freezing after loading an area.

There also appears to be some problems with using old save files on the PS3 from before the patch on very rare occasions, In some rare instances, the old save files will not allow the player to save nor auto-save, because the start screen has the “Save” option darkened after the patch is applied, making it impossible to save with the old save files.

This apparently only occurs with saved files before the patch, and infrequently. So far, there is no known fix other than deleting the patch from the “Game Data Utility” and starting the game without installing the patch. We’ll inform you if / when when a proper fix becomes available!

If you have experienced this bugs yourself, please let us know so that can confirm details.

22 Responses so far.

1. mike says:

Yeh well the devs though as ps3 owners are missing out on the dlc they could have an extra feature in the patch

2. Kukuk says:

Bethesda really messed up on the PS3 version. The other version aren’t perfect, but the PS3 seems to be seeing the least love.

Worse graphics, worse bugs, worse support (No DLC), this really is one of the laziest PS3 ports ever.

Hopefully on Bethesda’s next game they show a little more respect to PS3 owners.

Michael O'Connor   [ 23:59, January 13th, 2009 ]

@Kukuk, Money talks, as they say.

Aaron   [ 02:42, January 14th, 2009 ]

@Kukuk, Actually I’m not sure if we’ve played the same Fallout 3 or if you’ve even played the PS3 version at all, the game is sharp and looks and runs very well.

Michael O'Connor   [ 02:54, January 14th, 2009 ]

@Aaron, It still looks great, but the visual quality of the game is noticeably worse than the 360 and PC. Bethesda have admitted this themselves.

Hereand here.

He’s not stating it’s bad, just not as good, and I can attest that Kukuk is a proud Sony fan and not basing his remarks on fanboyism.

Bethesda’s support for the game on PS3 has been pretty shocking. That’s not the PS3′s fault. It’s Bethesda’s.

Kukuk   [ 02:59, January 14th, 2009 ]

@Aaron, I’m not so sure you have. Many reviews, and people on the official Fallout 3 forums, mention piss-poor performance and worse aliasing than the other versions. A lot of reviews even marked it down because of the exclusive flaws.

Aaron   [ 05:40, January 14th, 2009 ]

@Kukuk, Don’t worry yourself I have.

Anthony   [ 20:44, January 14th, 2009 ]

@Kukuk, Ah who cares. What is worst is that I can’t play the game without downloading the patch.

3. urass says:

funny, I haven’t had a single problem with the PS3 version.

Sounds like BS to me.

Michael O'Connor   [ 01:46, January 14th, 2009 ]

@urass,

If you read the article thoroughly, it clearly states that these bugs occur in isolated cases, not for everyone.

4. Laura Taft says:

Thankgod I have the PC version.
    Though, It would be nice if the link would work more often than once a day. ¬¬

5. gme says:

ya, got the pitt yesterday on PC, I had ~40 save games and all disappeared after installing, except ONE autosave. Also can’t seem to find a key to leave the pitt (hoping I just didn’t look hard enough, and it’s not a glitch).

6. Steve Harrison says:

I’ve just had the problem with the save game issue on my PS3.

The save game option is greyed out and I can no longer save my progress after a software update.

It’s rather annoying having spent in excess of 40 hours playing the game to lose all progress!!

7. Seun says:

Well i patched and now i can’t load any of my profiles and it starts me out on “New” only. Not sure what happened but i will get it figured out. Pain in the rump or not the game is cool and not everything is perfect. Especially in the world of video games.

I have the PC version so this bug isn’t just limited to the console versions. If i find a fix i will post it for all who have the PC version of it. Good luck you guys.

Lulz   [ 08:28, June 19th, 2009 ]

@Seun,

so found a fix for the pc version yet? I just patched and I WANT MY GAMES BACK

Luize0   [ 15:13, July 9th, 2009 ]

@Lulz, If ound a fix, well I think it’s the same situation as yours, the thing is that after the patch Games For Windows Live does not boot together with Fallout 3 and your game has 2 save systems. The first is saving the save files in the MyGames/Fallout3 and the others system is by Games For Windows Live in MyGames/Fallout3/YOURUSERNAME so it’s simple, you just copy paste the file from the submap with your username in the Saves map (so actually just bring them out of the submap), when you start Fallout 3 you’ll notice Games For Windows Live doesn’t pop-up at the top of your screen (if you haven’t already noticed) and euhm now it should be workin again ^^

8. Brian says:

Have a PS3 version and having the same problem. It will save new game data changes, but will not save my game progress unless I start a new game.

9. Esther says:

This is the main reason I raed http://www.thegamingvault.com. Awesome posts.

10. Mike says:

I bought some of the new add-on for fallout 3. Would I lose add of add-on if I delete it from Game data Utility. Any help would be great

Kyle Gaddo   [ 20:30, September 14th, 2011 ]

@Mike, Hey, Mike! You would not lose the add-ons by deleting them from the game data utility, because the downloads are tied to your Xbox LIVE or PSN account. You could easily re-download them!

You will, however, lose progress if you have save data, as that is not tied to your account.

If you have any more questions, try hitting up @XboxSupport on Twitter!

11. dillon says:

It does all of that with my ps3 and its on Goty. Also if I create a new game the autosave overwrites my prior game.